Beauty: wispy curtain bangs and getting over haircut trauma

All of my friends are already sick of me talking about this, so bear with me - I have an appointment at the hairdresser's this Thursday and I'm getting bangs! I've been thinking about this for ages now and I've finally made the decision to go ahead and do it. I've grown tired of my long, classic hair and I want to change things up a bit, have more of a "look". I'm aiming for a Jeanne Damas type of wispy/outrgrown curtain bang situation, slightly 60s inspired with a dash of boho. Totally my type of look, and I think I'm going to love the result. Either way, if I don't it'll grow out faster than those super thick or straight across bangs, so I don't have a lot to lose here. I've been pinning inspiration pics like crazy so check out my bangs board if you like!

getting wispy curtain bangs
pictures from pinterest, google and myself - I cut a piece of clip in hair extensions to get realistic fake bangs :'D

I'm still slightly stressed out though. I used to get my hair cut or coloured on a whim without regrets even if the result wasn't perfect (I've had multiple pixie cuts and short bobs so you know I ain't squeamish), but since my last big haircut (the unfortunately layered lob of 2013) I have been having a really ridiculous hair related case of PTSD. I liked my haircut when I left the salon, but after things settled it became apparent that the cut was shorter than what I had asked for, and had shitty, bad layers that only "worked" when I curled or straightened my hair into oblivion - or when I wore a hat. I wore lots of beanies. 

Beauty: wispy curtain bangs and getting over haircut trauma
What I asked for - what I got. Close but no cigar.

To add insult to injury, my hair was looking glorious just before I cut it. I had cut off two years of hairgrowth to get a cut I didn't even like, and it totally set off some sort of anxiety. I was so angry with myself for making such a stupid, impulsive decision that left me with bad hair for half a year, and I kept wishing I could just go back in time and take back my cut. I mean, I know it's ridiculous, but it still made a big impact on me to the point where I still have nightmares about getting an unwanted haircut! I want to get over that trauma and do something more with my hair than getting the ends trimmed, so cross your fingers for me and help me get past my ridiculous hangups this Thursday.

So, conclusion! I'm getting wispy, long curtain bangs, and it's going to be awesome. Has to be. Feel free to share hair related trauma here.

No comments