Feminism: body diversity, wearing bikinis online and Marlies Dekkers

Disclaimer: if someone starts producing content for the consumption of others, it is undoubtedly because they are attentionwhores. I am, unequivocally, an attentionwhore in the sense that I am not ashamed of presenting myself, my thoughts and my work to the scrutiny of others. However, I hate that word. Attentionwhore. It belies the fact that everyone enjoys (positive) attention, because that means people care about you, that you are interacting with others who notice you. That's not something anyone should be chastized for, not something that deserves a slur of its own.

body diversity: real bikini bodies
 as a woman, liking yourself gives many people a reason to like you less

Especially since it's so often used to humiliate women who are simply expressively enjoying their body and mind. A marker of the double edged sword handled by our society, pushing us to take pride in our appearance while always remaining self conscious not to overdo it, not to make it appear like we care, not to show how all of it takes work and effort. As such, I'm a huge fan of how blogs have opened up this whole world of women creating content showing both our enthousiasm in beauty related practices, as well as how much work, money, technique and bullshit is behind it. Blogs are the best equipped to address this inherently human hypocrisy of our culture, because blogs can be as rich and conflicted as the person behind it.
Damn, I must be in my grandiloquent mindset this Saturday afternoon, sorry! Sometimes I do wonder why I'm always compelled to add a disclaimer before posting bikini pictures. Something like expecting people not to take me as seriously when I'm not all covered up (BULLSHIT), or feeling like showing an affinity with looking good might make me seem less intelligent (BULLSHIT), or not wanting to come across as thirsty for compliments (BULLSHIT). But some of my favourite posts have been bikini posts. I like being able to go back in time to see how my body has or hasn't changed, and I like how these posts are the most honest representation of what a real person's body actually looks like. 

body diversity: real bikini bodies
 my sis and me showing our different, real bodies - check the original post here and another one here

As much as blogs and the internet in general have been heralded as the advent of a reality check in the media content we consume with regards to body image and beauty (spoiler alert: it's a lie), most of the time we still see carefully posed, curated and edited renditions of what people really look like underneath it all. And when we do see real bodies, very often they are along the lines of the curvy/fat (I use the word as a supporter of the fat acceptence movement, not as a slur). I mean, where are my skinnyfat (or as I'd like to call it: totally-average-bodied) bitches at?? Not all of us exercise, not all of us are super curvy, not all of us are one extreme or the other. Most of the time I'm super happy with my body, but I'm not skinny or athletic or curvy. And even though my body is totally average, I still feel like I contribute to a more realistic view of what real bodies actually look like by showing my body in a bikini.

And I always love coming across brands that support that vibe. You know I majorly respect La Fille d'O for its approach to real bodies and a raw, paired down sex appeal that is about unveiling rather than pushing up or in (see me wearing La Fille d'o here and here), and now I have added Marlies Dekkers to my list of preferences. Marlies Dekkers is known for a clean aesthetic, no frills, lace or (as she calls them) infantilizing bows, and playing with lines and straps that frame your beauty. The brand doesn't focus on cleavage all day errrday, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much - push ups make me feel like I'm wearing a girdle, man. Marlies always embodies a powerful, sexual femininity in her designs, and she habitually designs a collection inspired by boss ass bitches. I mean, how awesome is this The Victory lingerie inspired by Joan of Arc? I could wear that, or The Heroic Journey to sit my ass on the Iron Throne, man.

Marlies Dekkers The Victory lingerie

MD's SS15 swimwear collection was inspired by the Indian Holi festival that mostly revolves around the beginning of spring - appropriate, n'est-ce pas? And the brand representatives offered to let me pick out a set because they were fans of the body positive feminist vibe I try to embody in my internet presence (and life in general). Which is totally awesome. I was invited to a dinner with some inspiring women to talk about the new Marlies Dekkers collection, and even had a whole talk about #wijoverdrijvenniet. Marlies Dekkers' representative impressed me with her talk about how Marlies Dekker's bras take ages to construct because they are stitched with milimeter precision. We became mutual fans over the course of our conversation. And when I put on the set I picked out (the Holi Glamour drawstring shorts and push up bikini top - told you I was a hypocrite), I was converted. Bit too cold to show these in an appropriate setting, so my bathroom had to suffice.

Btw WHY ARE EXPENSIVE THINGS ALMOST ALWAYS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CHEAP THINGS? :( I love H&M, but no H&M bra or bikini will EVER measure up. This push up bikini is actually comfortable instead of wrangling my boobs in unnatural positions.

Marlies Dekkers Holi Glamour bikini

real bikini body on The Styling Dutchman

So that's your dose of attentionwhoring for the day. This bikini is beautiful, and it will make me that much more confident to strut my stuff on some Puerto Rican beach in a month.

PS: my favourite Barbie dress was the exact same colour as this bikini. My sister will undoubtedly know what dress I'm referring to.

PPS: it can't be a coincidence that both La Fille d'O and Marlies Dekkers are run by powerful women rather than men in suits.

16 comments

  1. girl you know I love you and your hot bikini posts <3 SHAME IS FOR SUCKERS

    ReplyDelete
  2. das alleen maar een belemmering int leven :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, goed en leuk geschreven!! Zulke posts brengen een glimlach op mijn gezicht. Very empowering. Die laatste bikini heeft echt een mooie kleur en staat je goed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn girl. AMEN to that. Buiten het feit dat de bikini niet echt mijn stijl is vind ik er u wel kei goed mee staan. En verdorie, uw lichaam! Ik stoor er mij ook soms aan dat er in de media vooral extremen worden geëtaleerd. Ofwel zie je van die (al dan niet graatmagere) supermodellen ofwel meisjes met een maat 42 of 44. Geen middelmaat, waar ik mij het meest mee kan spiegelen. Versta mij niet verkeerd: zowel die supermodels als de 'plus size' models verdienen alle liefde en erkenning, maar the girl next door met haar 'average' lijf komt nog steeds niet vaak aan bod.

    Kei tof dat uw blog en al het werk dat je er al in hebt gestoken zijn vruchten begint af te werpen, Annebeth. Cool dat jij aan de wieg stond van #wijoverdrijvenniet. Allez ja, 'cool'. Liever geen hashtag natuurlijk, maar je begrijpt mij wel zeker?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ik vind het ook bijzonder cool hoor, het heeft echt iets teweeg gebracht, ook met de media aandacht voor de zaak met Willem Elias bijv. Dat zou vroeger veel makkelijker gewoon zomaar voorbij gegaan zijn, en nu dus niet omdat zoveel mensen zich erover hebben uitgesproken. Zeer trots op ons allemaal!

    En ik heb hier een aantal foto's en een paar links naar "real people" in middelmaatlichamen gepost toen ik op zoek was naar meer voorbeelden, heb jij misschien ook iets aan! https://www.pinterest.com/stylingdutchman/feminism/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zalig geschreven, ik merk zelf ook wel dat ik toch ook soms aarzel om een iets 'blotere' outfit te tonen door de mogelijke reacties... but if you love your body, show it, girls! Ik vind het meer iets van een zelfzekerheid tonen dan attention whoring, maar als andere mensen het zo zien.. well so be it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ik ben over het algemeen niet zo van het 'laten zien'. Niet vanwege een specifieke reden of schaamte, ik vind het persoonlijk gewoon fijner het voor mezelf te houden. Desalniettemin heb ik altijd veel respect voor wie wel bikinifoto's plaatst :D En je hebt me wel verkocht aan Marlies Dekkers, zeg! Zo had ik er nooit over nagedacht. Damn, die bikini zit je echt als gegoten! :) We moeten inderdaad vaker 'normale' lichamen zien, zeker in de media! Je zus heeft ook een prachtig lichaam! Goede post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Work it, girl! Ben aant wachten op strand foto's :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh alle begrip hoor! Ik vind dat iedereen dat gewoon voor zichzelf moet beslissen. Ik voel me vreemd genoeg bijv vaak ongemakkelijk als ik een erg korte rok aanheb, of iets draag met cleavage, omdat ik gedurende de dag graag alles grotendeels bedek. Maar met bikinifoto's heb ik dan weer nul problemen, omdat dat in een bepaalde context gebeurt die niets met mijn dagelijkse functioneren te maken heeft. Als dat ergens op slaat :D

    Het is het echt waard om eens wat dingen van Marlies te passen, de fit en de kwaliteit is echt fantastisch. Deze bikini is ZO flatterend vergeleken met andere dingen die ik al gepast heb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weeral een zalige post! Ik kan alleen maar akkoord gaan met de comments hieronder. Great job, miss Bels!
    Naomi, x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ik heb het hélemaal eens! Ik heb in het middelbaar lessen toneel gevolg en daardoor heb ik heel snel woorden als 'aandachtshoer' etc leren relativeren. Aandacht krijgen voor iets wat je goed doet of wanneer je er goed uitziet is léuk.


    Also die bikini is wat Daenerys zou dragen als ze in Essos aan bikini's zouden doen. Maar dan met meer goud. Approved!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hannelore VandebroekJune 15, 2015 at 11:44 AM

    waar is die like button?

    ReplyDelete