Beauty: Dior Kingdom of Colors review, swatches and tutorial

Today, I'm going to show you some items and looks from the Dior Spring 2015 Kingdom of Colors collection. I received three products to review (YAY) so prepare for some eyecandy! Just check out the campaign image to get a feel for where this is going.

dior kingdom of colors: reviews, swatched and a tutorial

A return of colour to do away with the grey drab of winter, mixing pastels and punchy shades to create something that's halfway between sweet and spicy. This looks very soft in a campaign image, but wearing make up this colourful in real life would definitely make a statement in an '80s bubblegum punk kind of way. 

The images of the collection I've seen online are nothing short of stunning. I love the eyeshadow quints especially, since they look like their pinks and greens would work perfectly for my colouring. You can check out some good swatches here. The pictures I've seen of the House of Greens quint actually made me rediscover green eyeshadow, but more on that later!

Let me show you the products I received: Diorblush in N°873 Cherry Glory - 43,20€, Dior Addict Gloss N°004 Tiara - 31,50€, and Diorshow khĂ´l in N°099 Smoky Black - 23,15€.

dior kingdom of colors blush cherry glory review swatch
dior kingdom of colors blush cherry glory review swatch

Cherry Glory is a coral pink, super pigmented blush without any discernible shimmer or sparkle. Definitely use a light hand with this one if you're fair skinned, but if you use it correctly it's the kind of colour that strikes a lovely balance between catching the eye and looking natural. Flushed, warm, healthy!

dior kingdom of colors gloss tiara review swatch
dior kingdom of colors gloss tiara review swatch

Then there's this crazy multicolour glitter Dior Addict gloss. When I opened its box, I couldn't help but let out an "ooooooooh", because, well, glitter. So much glitter! It's like a vial of pixie dust! It feels smooth on the lips, none of that gritty feeling cheap glitter glosses tend to have. I imagine this gloss looking stunning layered over any lipstick colour, but it does a great job at making your bare lips eye catchers as well. I haven't been into lipgloss for the past few years, but I've enjoyed adding some variety to my lip arsenal recently. I've been using lip creams and lip lacquers a lot, and this gloss reminds me of stunning pop and RnB diva's from the early 2000s, which is never a bad thing. I'm also considering using it for one of those glossy eyelid looks which I've always loved but never quite mastered myself.

dior kingdom of colors kohl smokey black review swatch
dior kingdom of colors kohl smokey black review swatch

Finally there's the Diorshow KhĂ´l pencil, which is probably my favourite out of the three. I use a kohl pencil almost daily, as a thin, smudged line along the upper and lower outer corners of my eyes. It intensifies my gaze without making my eyes seem smaller, and because I'm quite pale with dark hair, I often feel like my face is too bare without some dark pencil around the eyes. I've been using a cheap Catrice kohl pencil up until now, but I have no qualms about switching over to this Dior product. It glides on like a dream, smudges beautifully without becoming too sheer (pigment for days!), and after you've smudged it, it actually stays put. AND it twists up! I hate sharpening pencils, twisty-up make up pencils 4 life.

And here's the complete look I created with these products. The smokey cat eye is very different from what I usually wear, but it sort of started appearing while blending and I really love the end result - a soft statement. Here's a more detailed look at what I did. The first picture is edited to show the colour application clearly, so you can try it yourself. I only used three products: the Dior khĂ´l pencil, Diorshow Fusion Mono in 621 Mirror, and of course mascara (which I used a bit too much of - woops).

Smokey cat eye with glitter tutorial using Diorshow KhĂ´l

All I did was draw a black line with the kohl pencil along the upper outer corner of my eye, and then I blended it outward and upward with a short, flat rounded brush to form a thick, almost straight line across the eyelid fanning out to the ends of my eyebrows, finishing with a swipe under the eye. Then I swiped the glittery Mirror shadow over my moving eyelid, and marveled at how pretty it looked layered over the khĂ´l. Definitely a look I'll try again!

smokey cat eye tutorial using Diorshow KhĂ´l

Which of these products appeals to you the most?

4 comments

  1. Wow, definitely beautiful, love the contrast on the eyes! Just wondering which mascara you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SWEAR by maybelline Volum' Express, this one: http://makeup411.com/411_product_images/5114_Maybelline_volum%20express_%20washable.jpg

    Never came across one I liked better and I've used it for ten years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh myyyy die kohl eyeliner, looooooove! prachtige ooglook ook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heel mooie ooglook, en prachtige producten!!

    ReplyDelete