Party Make Up Tutorial on a Budget: Gold Eyeliner

If there's one pinterest image that keeps haunting my dreams, the one picturing a cat eye with a gold lining. Subdued sparkle, very pretty, and it looks like something I could actually do myself, using affordable products - unlike so many other beautiful pins (example). Let's put my confidence to the test, and try to recreate that gold eyeliner look step by step!

gold eyeliner tutorial
gold eyeliner tutorial matte red lips


Not bad, right? I'm pretty sure that most people who have a little make up experience would be able to recreate this look. Read on for a step by step tutorial.

gold eyeliner tutorial hema catrice gosh

Products used:

1 - Catrice Prime and Fine eyeshadow base
2 - The Body Shop Oh Honey eyeshadow mono
3 - Catrice I Wear My Plum Glasses At Night eyeshadow mono
4 - Catrice liquid eyeliner
5 - Hema gold glittered mascara/eyeliner
6 - Maybelline Volum' Express mascara
7 - Hema Long Lasting Colour lipgloss/lipstain in 106

gold eyeliner tutorial swatches catrice hema
Product swatches, left to right: TBS Oh Honey, Catrice I Wear My Plum Glasses At Night (with some random Oh Honey glitter, because the product is matte on its own), Catrice eyeliner, Hema gold eyeliner, Hema long lasting colour.


The picture tutorial below follows the order of products listed above, and the photo numbers match product numbers.

easy gold eyeliner tutorial


1 - Apply base
2 - Apply Oh Honey eyeshadow all over moving eyelid
3 - Apply I Wear My Plum Glasses At Night from the outer corner of the eye upwards into the crease, blending inward
4 - Draw on a cat eye, as big or as subtle as you like. You don't have to be super neat, because the gold will cover most small mistakes. I like to draw on the flick at the very end, after lining the upper lash line, and opening my eyes so I can see how the flick will sit.
5 - Carefully use the glitter liner to pack on glitters along the cat eye, as well as around the inner corners of your eye. For a more saturated gold colour, you can layer the glitter liner over a regular gold eye pencil. I used Gosh's Velvet Touch 021 in Renaissance Gold, but it also looks nice (and a bit softer) with just the glitter. You will probably get some black product on your gold eyeliner brush, so just work carefully and swipe off all the black on the back of your hand when the brush gets dirty. If you've painted gold over the black, simply grab your black eyeliner and go over the gold once more at the end. This step is easy, as you already have the desired shape and only have to top up the messy spots.

And voila!

Now, on to the lips.

hema long lasting colour 106

Hema's long lasting colour is a two step procedure: paint on the colour, allow it some time to set, and finish off with the caring balm topcoat. This product is insanely pigmented and won't smudge, which is perfect for partying. I added a tiny bit of Gosh Velvet Touch liner in Renaissance gold along the middle of my cupid's bow, because I love sparkle.

hema long lasting colour 106
gold eyeliner tutorial matte red lip
gold eyeliner tutorial matte red lip

And there you go! Definitely something most people could master, and such a cute look. Could be further pimped with some false lashes and/or a bigger cat eye, but I get self conscious when I wear a lot of make up (I can almost hear my bare faced friends and colleagues rolling their eyes at me in the distance :-D). Hope you like it!

8 comments

  1. Dit ga ik zo hard proberen voor de kerstdagen!! Zou het bij mij doen met paarse lippenstift (mac heroine). Zal wel wat moeten oefenen op mijn eyeliner skills, want dat is lijk nog nooit echt goed gelukt bij mij. Fail I know :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/391742867560241031/ dit is hoe ik het ongeveer doe, eerst in korte veegjes de bovenkant van je wimperlijn linen, dan je oog open en de "flick" tekenen, en dan de twee verbinden en aandikken waar nodig. Achteraf bijwerken met make up remover en zo'n puntig wattenstaafje, en het is pretty much foolproof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, prachtig! Ik denk er al lang over om gouden eyeliner te kopen, en nu heb je me helemaal overtuigd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo beautiful, I like this gloden eye shadow

    http://choicelink.bloog.pl/id,343249447,title,Decent-and-beautiful-blue-floral-curtains,index.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, die lipstain van Hema ziet er geweldig uit! Is die in veel kleuren verkrijgbaar?

    Love, Tessa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, zal ik zeker eens proberen! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete